ForkLift 4 sneak peek

We are postponing the release of ForkLift 4

In one of our latest blog posts, we discussed our plans for the new business model for ForkLift 4. The feedback from our users has been overwhelmingly positive, which has strengthened our decision about the new pricing model. In this last post, we also wrote that we were hoping to release ForkLift 4 in the spring of 2021.

We were planning to make fewer significant changes to ForkLift than in the previous major releases. And we certainly didn’t want to completely rewrite the code as we did in the past major versions. That was one of the reasons why we hoped that we could release ForkLift 4 in the spring. However, we are postponing the release of ForkLift 4 because we have decided to make a major overhaul once again.

First and foremost, we want to add more new features to ForkLift 4 than planned so that we can call it a new major version with a clear conscience.

Also, because of the complexity of ForkLift, we need to keep the code of ForkLift clean and sustainable. That is a standard we have set for ourselves. That is good for the developer and the users as well. A maintained, sustainable code is easier to work with, and it allows new functionality to grow. The maintainability of the code will become even more significant now that we are switching to the new model of continuous development.

We want to create a solid foundation that we can later easily build on. If we want the code to stay relevant, then we have to change bigger parts of it, and it is better to change some of the core functions now, before the release, than a few months later on the live code.

There are some new technologies and implementations (for example, SwiftUI) that we want to use in ForkLift 4, which would allow us to build a more robust and future proof app. These new solutions are reducing the complexity of the code too. There is only one thing that can improve the app besides writing code, and that is deleting some unnecessary code. It feels good and liberating to delete something old and unnecessary entirely or replace it with a much simpler solution. But unfortunately, using these modern implementations has its price too, and this price is the compatibility. ForkLift 4 will likely require a recent macOS version, but we hope that by the time ForkLift 4 comes out, this won’t be such a big issue.

Since we had announced that ForkLift 4 might come out in the spring, a lot of people asked if they should purchase ForkLift 3 now or wait until the new version comes out. Users who need or want to buy ForkLift now should buy it now and shouldn’t postpone the purchase. In the past, we always introduced grace periods for the users who had bought ForkLift in the months before the release of the next major version. We will work out a fair concept this time too, where users won’t need to purchase ForkLift twice within a given period. We will make sure that this will be a fair offer.

If you could add ONE feature to ForkLift 4, what would it be? Let us know in the comments which is the one, most important feature you definitely would like to see in ForkLift 4.

98 thoughts on “We are postponing the release of ForkLift 4”

1. Chris says:

The one thing that would solve many is:
    Please add a good AppleScripts support. This would enable power users too develop a lot of tweaking they could share in user groups.
    One of my first tweak would be to have an entire work-setting called up with a keystroke – with several forklift windows and each with their different directories and view options (the present workspace saving falls far short of this goal). And again instead of you having to add all those bits and pieces lt the power users do it and share. You only have to provide the scripting interface. like e.g. AppleScript. (see what you can all do with simple Finder.app and AppleScript. That should not be less for Forklift )

2. Peter says:

1. Proper support for tags. My extensive use of tags forces me to switch to Finder whenever I need to do anything other than just viewing existing tags on a file. This even includes adding tags since Forklift gives no suggestions while typing. Having to know the exact spelling of every tag you want to add to a file should be a big no for anyone who relies on tags in a systematic way.
    2. AppleScript. Needs no explanation.
    3. Preview for Adobe file formats.
    4. Ability to drag apps/files to the toolbar to make shortcuts, like in Finder.
    5. Cut and paste to move files.

3. Jan Zikmund says:

I would love full support of right-click to offer same features that Finder does, currently the “More” menu doesn’t contain Automator workflows, “Share” option is missing to send file through Airdrop etc.

4. LauGau says:

I would love to see an option to set permissions in FTP in bulk, ex :
    Set all folders to 755 and all files to 644 (including one all the files and folders under the current level).

5. MayaJ says:

+1 for tags support, please. I’m a writer and use tags extensively for marking draft/publishing status and version control, and constantly have to switch back to Finder just for tag management. Full tags integration would make this a 5-star app for me (it’s already 4.8 stars, I love ForkLift otherwise). Thanks for considering this!

6. Extensibility via plugins!
    There are many different use-cases for a file manager: web developers might need FTP and other network features. Mobile developers might need another features. Photographers needs easily handle lots of files.
    Support for plugins will make it possible to please everyone.
    Forklift has a large community of developers across its users, who will be happy to develop these plugins.

7. GaryB says:

The ability to compare directories without using sub folders. This come into play in pro audio files for .vst and other plugins types. I think your software could serve a whole other group of users that have pro level home studios. I’ll put in a ticket and show you what I mean.

8. Sam says:

Not a new feature, per se, but speed and stability remains the most important consideration for me when using this app.

I love ForkLift, but in recent years I’ve started experiencing more crashes and lag time than ever, to the point where I’ve found myself switching to Finder to complete a task in some cases. Such tasks are usually quite basic as well – simply clicking the breadcrumb to jump to a new directory, or dragging files from one pane to another is enough to bring the whole app crashing down. As others have already mentioned, things like thumbnail generation in a large directory and reading a directory size can be painfully slow as well. I’ve observed these problems across multiple machines now, so I don’t think it’s limited to my specific setup.

I fully support the thinking behind the ForkLift 4 roadmap and I’m hopeful that the next version will bring a snappier, more stable experience.

1. agnesbinary says:

We are sorry for these issues. Please send us the crash reports directly, should ForkLift crash again.

1. Sam says:

I’m very happy to report that after upgrading to macOS 11.6 I have yet to experience any serious issues. Forklift feels much more stable and responsive on my new setup, so it may have been unfair to blame the app for the problems I was experiencing. Looking forward to V4!

9. Gavin says:

I would love to see a Drop Stack feature, similar to what Pathfinder has. A quick and easy place to “store” files when you are trying to find the correct folder to put them in (I am currently using Yoink, but it would be great to have this built into Forklift).

10. ParalaX says:

What I would love is the integration of Synology Drive, with the ability to quickly go the NAS page where we can see the old versions

11. Kim says:

Keeping it clean and fast is important to me

12. Henrik says:

I don’t know if that has been mentioned before, but can we get a reworked “activities” window. If I copy 100 files right now it will show 100 single entries. It is a PITA to cancel a file transfer or see the total progress. It would be nicer if instead (like other file managers) it would show one batch as one entry. Possibly with the option to drill down into individual files.

13. Denis says:

Please add full S3 support. I can’t use ForkLift specific buckets in Amazon or Yandex.Coud

14. Gary says:

So when is Forklift 4 now expected?

15. Gergely says:

Hi!

The one feature I miss from Forklift is MTP Android Phone Support!!

I hate using MTP Android File Transfer, and there isn’t any comparable app on the market today. Could you please add MTP support? 🙂 So that we can move data to/from our Android phones more easily on the Mac!

16. Gergely says:

Hmm, you could also add a new “search for duplicates” feature, although there is Gemini 2 for that, and it could mean a lot of additional coding… who knows. MTP is more important to me though. 🙂

17. CD says:

First, i use Forklift since a couple of yeas and many times per day.
    My key features are simplicity, good performance with huge files/directories and the ability to work only with the keyboard.

So, thx to Forklift!

At least features i am missing:
    * sftp keep/sync file permission
    * remote code execution (ssh)
    * copy rel/abs path from remote ( not the URI )

18. Steve Turnbull says:

Is there a way to duplicate the left hand sidebar on the right side?

19. Kim says:

Speed, Speed, Speeeeeed.

also….. If I start copying a large file from one HD to another, do I have to wait until the transfer is done before I close Forklift? If so…. make the transfer independent of Forklifts On or Off status.

Don´t bloat this.